Monday, April 16, 2012

The Subaltern

So yes, I am currently living in Chile but that doesn't make me want to travel to Africa any less....just that much more! Recently we have been doing a study on the subaltern and if the subaltern is able to speak for themselves. I am currently working on understanding the intricacies of this social justice issue. Latin American literature is currently very underrepresented in the literary world. The questions that consistently float around in my mind:

Why is Latin American literature not read?

How does a genre become "read"?

What is the value of an education and literature?

Who gives value to history?



I think that my live here in Chile is definite preparation for wherever I go next, whether it be India, Africa, or some school in the states. While I am here I am trying to immerse myself fully into the Chilean culture letting myself become a global student. It's definitely the first step in my journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment